Fall is many Wisconsinites’ favorite time of the year! Cool, crisp mornings arrive after months of humidity. Leaves start turning from green to vibrant reds, oranges, yellows, and deep purples. The Packers and Badgers get back on the gridiron, searching for another championship season. And, this is a time of the year that many folks put off their real estate goals and dreams until the following spring. And, while there are benefits to selling your home in the spring, it might be just as advantageous, or even more advantageous to sell in the fall. Here’s why:
- Curb Appeal. In the fall, your lawn is still going to be clinging to it’s summer glory. Green and lush, not brown and patchy like it can be in the spring. Your mums and cute fall decorations adorn your outdoor areas nicely. Your patio furniture is still out and looks inviting. And, most importantly, you get to show off your amazing colorful leaves! If you have maple, birch, or other colorful trees this is the THE ONLY time of the year to show them off to potential buyers.
- Motivated Buyers. In the fall you have the a specific pool of buyers that did not purchase a home during the summer and are likely REALLY wanting to close on a home and move in before the dreaded Wisconsin winters hit. For this reason, you’ll attract qualified buyers who are anxious to get a deal done and won’t beat you up with low-ball offers or crumby terms.
- Less Competition from other Sellers. The months with the highest amount of listings are April, May, and June. So, if you list your home during that time, you’re competing against the large amount of homes that are also listed then. In fall, there are less buyers, yes, but there are also way less sellers. This helps your home stand out! This is especially true if your home isn’t exactly the nicest one on the street – if that’s the case, you don’t want to be on the market exactly when everyone else is!
- Less competition for contractors. Many contractors start to slow down in the fall and have more flexibility with their schedules. If you need to hire a contractor to get some work done, this can be a good time to find someone on shorter notice.
- Fall is a good time to verify that the entire HVAC system works well. In the winter and much of the spring, you won’t be able to test the A/C unit because it will be under feet of snow or tarped up and shut off due to cold temperatures. In the summer, no one is really running their furnace. Fall is a good time for you to test both out and know if there are “bugs in the system”
As you can see, there are benefits to selling your home in the fall. And, while I will always say that there is no “bad time” to sell a home – fall can be a great time enjoy advantageous circumstances and have a successful sale.
If you are considering selling a home this fall or would like to discuss your options, please reach out to me. I always love to help where I can!
~ Tim Nelson | RE/MAX Affiliates | 715-529-0239 | email@example.com